GIVING EXPOSURE TO A WELL-KNOWN CHOREOGRAPHER
Jamaica Craft is an acclaimed choreographer and creative director, and has worked with artists including Justin Bieber, Usher, and Ciara. She choreographs FOX hit show 'Empire'. She has remained very under the radar, thus finding legit and updated information about her was almost impossible.
My team partnered with Craft's management company, King Creative Group, to design a website that enhances her brand and reaches her user base.
Fans and dancers are passionate about community-based dance, but their exposure to dance content is limited to the recommendations of their friends and small communities. Jamaica Craft, an established choreographer, has expertise in dance and has worked with A-list celebrities, but her personal brand is not recognized.
How might we showcase Jamaica's work so that it is easily accessible to her fans, potential brands and agencies who want to book her, and dancers who want to work with her?
TIMEFRAME: 2 weeks
TEAM: Product Manager + 2 UX Designers
MY ROLE: Research –especially on the brands and creative agencies side– and high-fidelity wireframes
TOOLS: Sketch, InVision, Marvel, Principle
DELIVERABLES: research report, personas, user journey, annotated wireframes, clickable prototype, 12 min presentation with client
THE DISCOVERY PROCESS
Our research uncovered numerous findings that will shape our design solution going forward.
- Competitive/Comparative Analysis
- Screener Survey
- User Interviews.
After gathering the insights obtained from our research, we created 3 personas to guide future design decisions. It became clear that our main focus of attention should be the primary persona -the dance fan- since they were the largest population of users. However, we also acknowledged our secondary (people in the entertainment/fashion industry looking for talent to partner with) and tertiary personas (dancers looking for opportunities). *We considered dancers to be a specialized subset of fans.
Dance fans have issues finding information about choreographers. Sometimes, they can't even get their names.
- Straightforward introduction of Jamaica Craft through a full screen video. Dynamic 30-40'' brand statement portrayed by her.
- Prominent access to her Social Media channels
- Simple and clear main navigation that uses a conversational tone for the copy
"When looking for talent, I need to know if they align with my brand to move on and contact their rep. And I don't have time to play the detective!" –Producer at a creative agency in NY
Homepage containing a brand statement video of Jamaica gives an accurate idea of who she is, making the process of hiring her easier for potential clients.
TAKE A LOOK PAGE
- Updated reel with easy sharing options that make the process of discovering her work easy and enjoyable.
- Distinguished access to Jamaica's Youtube channel where her videos are organized by playlists: clients, workshops, interviews... Since YouTube is the main platform to watch videos online, we wanted to create a light portfolio section displaying her best work giving the option to check her channel for further exploration.
- Jamaica has an apparel line at a very early stage for which branding is still being outlined. We decided not to include it here for now.
"I like streamlined websites with well-selected content that isn't too heavy. A simple navigation with a personal touch that makes me want to meet and work with that person" –Creative producer at Adidas
GET TO KNOW ME PAGE
- Very brief bio on the top highlighting accomplishments
- Photos of clients arranged on grid and displayed by relevance
- Drop down window showing the most important work with each specific client
- Link to YouTube playlist correspondent to that client to see more related work
CONNECT WITH ME PAGE
- Management details on the top of the page: easy access for people who might be interested in hiring her.
- Same icons of her social media channels used on homepage
- Newsletter subscription to receive information on her workshops, master classes... Important for dancers or fans who want to improve their skills.
- Fill in form to collect videos from dancers who want to participate in online auditions.
- Turn the high-fidelity prototype into a fully functional website
- Celebrity endorsements on her website describing her personality and character
- Research and contact specific production companies that align with Jamaica's brand
- Organized YouTube content in different playlists grouping videos with same content or client
- Have choreography credits listed in client's music descriptions and link them to her website